[Tinyos-help] How to know how much energy the CC2420 is using

Manjunath Doddavenkatappa doddaven at comp.nus.edu.sg
Mon Nov 22 15:57:49 PST 2010

It is possible to measure the time that cc2420 consumes in different
states. This is previsouly done in Tinyos-1.x for mica2 and micaZ nodes
in the implementation of SMAC and SCP MAC protocols. You can download the
code from the link http://www.isi.edu/ilense/software/scpmac/.

The file that contains the related code is platform/micaz/PhyRadioM.nc,
This file implements the physical layer that in turn uses CC2420
components.

The idea is simple, there is a routine called updateEnergy() in the file
which is called every time before you change the radio to a new state. On
being
invoked, the routine updates the time spent in the last state. This way it keeps track
of time that radio spends in every state.

BTW, I am not sure how easy to replicate this in the latest versions, you
must be aware of all the places where a change in the radio state is
invoked. So that you can call updateEnergy() before the change.

Regards,
Manjunath D