[Tinyos-help] Tossim -- Topology generation

Pedro Nunes pmrnunes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 07:56:18 PST 2010

On Mar 2, 2007, at 10:17 AM, Philip Levis wrote:

>On Mar 2, 2007, at 8:31 AM, Octav Chipara wrote:

>>Does anyone have a topology generation for tossim in T2 handy?

I've been trying to build topologies using that tool (LinkLayerModel)
and although I did everything as they say on their documentation
I always get an "almost-full" disconnected network.

If you try to use the tool with the 2nd example given on the tool's
documentation webpage - a network of 49 nodes on a 100x100 football
field - you will see that only one or two pairs of nodes will be able
to communicate. All others will just stay disconnected from the

If someone wants to give it a try, you'll just have to copy the 2nd
example to a txt file and then: $ java net.tinyos.sim.LinkLayerModel
<that_txt_file_you_just_created>. This will create 2 files:
"linkgain.out" and "topology.out". If you open "linkgain.out" you'll
see that the majority of the links will get gains in a -130 to -150
dBm range, which just won't work because according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm: "Typical range (-60 to -80 dBm) of
wireless received signal power over a network (802.11 variants)". So
-130 to -150 dBm is a much lower noise which sensors' transceivers
won't be able to hear.

Does the LinkLayerModel tool have some sort of bug? Or am I missing
something here?

Pedro Nunes