[Tinyos-help] Tossim -- Topology generation

Pedro Nunes pmrnunes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 07:56:18 PST 2010

On Mar 2, 2007, at 10:17 AM, Philip Levis wrote:

>On Mar 2, 2007, at 8:31 AM, Octav Chipara wrote:
>

>>Hi,

>>Does anyone have a topology generation for tossim in T2 handy?

>tinyos-2.x/support/sdk/java/net/tinyos/sim
>
>Phil

I've been trying to build topologies using that tool (LinkLayerModel)
and although I did everything as they say on their documentation
(http://www.tinyos.net/tinyos-2.x/doc/html/tutorial/usc-topologies.html),
I always get an "almost-full" disconnected network.

If you try to use the tool with the 2nd example given on the tool's
documentation webpage - a network of 49 nodes on a 100x100 football
field - you will see that only one or two pairs of nodes will be able
to communicate. All others will just stay disconnected from the
network.

If someone wants to give it a try, you'll just have to copy the 2nd
example to a txt file and then: $ java net.tinyos.sim.LinkLayerModel
<that_txt_file_you_just_created>. This will create 2 files:
"linkgain.out" and "topology.out". If you open "linkgain.out" you'll
see that the majority of the links will get gains in a -130 to -150
dBm range, which just won't work because according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm: "Typical range (-60 to -80 dBm) of
wireless received signal power over a network (802.11 variants)". So
-130 to -150 dBm is a much lower noise which sensors' transceivers
won't be able to hear.

Does the LinkLayerModel tool have some sort of bug? Or am I missing
something here?

Regards,
Pedro Nunes