[Tinyos-help] Current MAC protocol in RF230

Miklos Maroti mmaroti at math.u-szeged.hu
Fri Nov 12 13:21:32 PST 2010

Hi Francesco,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Francesco Ficarola
<francesco.ficarola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Miklos Maroti ha scritto:
>> Hi Francesco!
>>
>> What are you measuring? How are you measuring it?
>>
>> Miklos
>
> I measure the voltage at the mote. To see the current consuption by the
> mote, I connected the (+) terminal of the lab power supply to the
> resistor, the I connected the resistor to the (+) terminal of the mote.
> Next I connected the (-) terminal of the lab power supply to the GND of
> the mote. At last I connected (+) terminal of the oscilloscope to the
> (+) terminal of the resistor and (-) terminal of the oscilloscope to the
> (-) terminal of the resistor.
>
> Here a photo: http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/479/dsc0681g.jpg
> (the red and black/red wires belong to the power supply, while the probe
> belongs to the oscilloscope.)

When the mote is in a backoff state, then it is in RX mode which
consumes as much energy as TX. So you will not see the packet train
from the current consumption. The only thing you can see is when the
mote turns off the radio completely (i.e. when it sleeps between
wakeups).

Miklos