[Tinyos-help] Current MAC protocol in RF230

Miklos Maroti mmaroti at math.u-szeged.hu
Thu Nov 11 06:33:35 PST 2010

Hi Francesco,

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Francesco Ficarola
<francesco.ficarola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Miklos Maroti ha scritto:
>> Hi Francesco,
>>
>> It is a BoX-MAC-2.
>>
>> Miklos
>
> Hi Miklos! :) As usual, thanks for your help! However, if it is a
> BoX-MAC-2, why does the oscilloscope show a continuous transmission?
>
> This is the link of transmission: http://tinyurl.com/35pzqwx

I do not know what resolution you are using. It definitely retransmits
the same packet over and over and in fact it uses some random backoffs
of the order of up to 2 ms. This is the default LPL mode.

> In BoX-MAC-2 the transmission is spaced, right?: __|TX|__|TX|__|TX|__
> In my test the oscilloscope shows: __|TX|TX|TX|TX|TX|__
>
> Also the wake up period is too short for a BoX-MAC-2:
> http://tinyurl.com/32c7c27

It is tricky. The wakeup period is currently set for 5 ms, but this is
mainly because of the backoffs and the time it takes to turn on/off
the radio. I do not know what the usual period of Box-MAC-2 is.

Miklos