[Tinyos-help] Problems with TinyOS install on Ubuntu 10.10

Eric Decker cire831 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 23:31:06 PDT 2010

I don't think moving to the maverick set of repos will fix this.  The repos
have been moved forward from one release to another without any additional

So if there is a maverick repo set it will probably have the same problem.

So given that....

This is a collision between repos.  You already have binutils-avr, gcc-avr,
and avrdude installed.  So when you try to install avr-binutils-tinyos,
avr-gcc-tinyos, and avrdude-tinyos there is a conflict.

The problem with the stuff in the tinyos repos is it is old hasn't been
updated in a while.

You could remove the already installed binutils-avr, gcc-avr, and avrdude.
Then install the tinyos repos.

Then I think you can upgrade the packages using the binutils-avr, gcc-avr,
and avrdude from the net.

If that doesn't work you can force the overwrite using dpkg -i
--force-overwrite <...deb>

You will need the .deb file from the net.

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Joey Wilson <doughywilson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's the exact error I get in synaptic:
> E: /var/cache/apt/archives/avr-binutils-tinyos_2.17-20080812_amd64.deb:
> trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/avr-objcopy', which is also in package
> binutils-avr 2.20.1-1ubuntu2
> E: /var/cache/apt/archives/avr-gcc-tinyos_4.1.2-20080812_amd64.deb: trying
> to overwrite '/usr/bin/avr-gcov', which is also in package gcc-avr 1
> E: /var/cache/apt/archives/avrdude-tinyos_5.4-20080812_amd64.deb: trying to
> overwrite '/usr/bin/avrdude', which is also in package avrdude 5.10-3
> I used the "lucid" software source since there is not one for maverick yet.
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Eric Decker <cire831 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> what exactly does it say?
>> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Joey Wilson <doughywilson at gmail.com>wrote:
>>> All,
>>> I am having a problem installing TinyOS 2.1.1 on Ubuntu 10.10. I run into
>>> conflicts when it tries to install the avrdude, avr-gcc, and avr-binutils
>>> tinyos packages. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know when
>>> Ubuntu 10.10 will be included in supported distributions? Are there any
>>> workarounds for this issue? Any help would be appreciated.
>> --
>> Eric B. Decker
>> Senior (over 50 :-) Researcher

Eric B. Decker