[Tinyos-help] need help with understanding Tinyos

Urs Hunkeler uhu at gmx.ch
Tue Feb 24 13:06:04 PST 2009

Hi Mohamed,

TinyOS is an embedded operating system. To save memory space, the
operating system is not installed as a separate software module, but
rather the programs that you want to use are compiled into a single
binary, which then is installed on the motes. In addition, the
development environment (without which you cannot use TinyOS) provides
libraries which run on the base station (computer) and facilitate
communication between the wireless sensor network and applications
running on the base station.

To summarize:
- TinyOS is primarily installed on the motes (sensor nodes, such as
MicaZ or TelosB).
- TinyOS is not very useful by itself, you need an application to go
with it (e.g. Deluge).
- The development environment for TinyOS provides libraries to be
installed on the base station.

To get started with TinyOS you might want to read the tutorials:
http://docs.tinyos.net/index.php/TinyOS_Tutorials

Cheers,
Urs