[Tinyos-help] rom and ram size

Razvan Musaloiu-E. razvanm at cs.jhu.edu
Thu Feb 19 14:30:43 PST 2009

Hi!

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, BAI LI wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When you compile the program in TinyOS, it will show you the Rom and Ram
> size in the compiling infor. I am just wondering wat factors determine both
> rom and ram size. As I developed two hash functions however when i did the
> comparison. They don't have much difference on the size of rom and ram. I
> would like to polish the program and try to reduce the size of rom and ram.
> Can anyone tell me what I should notice when i program? Thanks.

In few words ROM includes the code and initialized data and RAM includes
both initialized and uninitialized data (note that the stack is not
included).

Two excellent tools you can use to explore your program are objdump and
readelf. For telos they have a 'msp430-' prefix in front. For mica family
the prefix is 'avr-'.

All the best!
Razvan ME