[Tinyos-help] Routing Protocols in TinyOS 2

Tao Liu liu3tao at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 01:08:53 PST 2008

Dear all,

I am a beginner in TinyOS, and I am trying to understand the routing
algorithms used in TinyOS 2. According to the TEP 123, TinyOS 2.0 uses
CTP as the routing protocol for multihop communications, which uses
ETX as the route metric to estimate the quality of a link. However, my
understanding is that TinyOS 2.0 provides two implementations of the
CTP:

 - tos/lib/net/ctp
 - tos/lib/net/lqi

The first one uses ETX, and the second one uses LQI in the link
estimation. Is there any way to incorporate other route metrics to the
current CTP implementation? If there is, which component should I
modify to apply the new metric? I believe there should be some
components in tos/lib/net/le, but I am not sure.

I am also wondering what are the preferred routing protocols currently
used in the wireless sensor networks, especially those protocols that
are not tree-based? As far as I can tell TOS 2.x provides two (the
ones mentioned above), and TOS 1.x offers more. There are also
prototype protocols such as S4 (Small state and Small Stretch Routing
Protocol) and CentRoute (CENS) available.  Are there any point to
point protocols available that are not tree-based? Out of the existing
sensor network deployments, which routing protocol seems to get the
most use?  I would appreciate if you could provide pointers to the
implementations as well (whether they are on the main TOS code
repository or a different one).

Thanks in advance for all the answers.

Best regards,
Tao