[Tinyos-help] Deluge T2 in TinyOS 2.0.2 release

Razvan Musaloiu-E. razvanm at cs.jhu.edu
Tue Feb 26 11:12:44 PST 2008

Hi!

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Gaurav Chandwani wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> We have to deploy a big number of motes with 2 images
> 1. modified-MutiHopOscilloscope application for Collection, Radio always ON
> - Cluster Head (CH)
> 2. modified-RadioCountToLeds , with Radio ON for only transmitting
>    a packet(few ms) and then OFF for say X Minutes - Cluster Node (CN)
>
> Since the deployment could be big scale, so we obviously want to use Deluge T2
> to do this. I had a few Questions regarding it:
>
> 1. Right now we are using TinyOS 2.0.2 stable release and have
> not tried the CVS current repository. The example applications in
> apps/tests/Deluge don't compile and if I follow the Latest DelugeT2 Manual,
> first i installed Python2.4 and pySerial not present in release then the first step
> talks abt tos/lib/tosboot folder which aint there, while is present in CVS.
> So, the only conclusion tht I can take is tht there is no way of using Deluge in
> any capacity without using CVS. Am I right ?

The manual talks about Deluge T2 for the CVS. I think there might be
something wrong with your 2.0.2 installation because there is a a
tos/lib/tosboot in the official rpm:
 	http://www.tinyos.net/dist-2.0.0/tinyos/linux/tinyos-2.0.2-2.noarch.rpm

In fact I highly recommend using the latest Deluge from the following git
repository:
 	http://hinrg.cs.jhu.edu/git/deluge/tinyos-2.x.git
 	http://hinrg.cs.jhu.edu/git/?p=deluge/tinyos-2.x.git (webgit)

> 2.  For one of the application, Radio is OFF(Cluster Node's) for most of the
> time. Has anyone tried some kind of syncronization between Cluster Heads and
> Cluster Nodes in this situation to use Deluge. *Also, we want to use Deluge
> to deliver 2 different images to 2 different classes of motes(CH and CN),
> has anyone tried something like this or is tht possible ?*

The current version of Deluge T2 cannot simultaneously disseminate two
images. You can disseminate the images sequentially but you'll have to
employ a separate mechanism to detect when all the motes got the image
(you can use collection for this for example).

> 3. For MultiHopOscilloscope, i was reading on this forum that Deluge
> aint enough as the object image become larger than supported size, are
> there plans of taking care of this ?

MultiHopOscilloscope is pretty big by itself and adding Deluge T2 with
basestation support makes it too big. Without the basestation support it
does fit. Here are some comparisons:

                                     ROM   RAM
no DelugeC                         29062 3348
DelugeC                            44632 3999
DelugeC + DELUGE_LIGHT_BASESTATION 46418 4099
DelugeC + DELUGE_BASESTATION        too big

The DELUGE_LIGHT_BASESTATION doesn't allow -d and -dr commands but does
allow -p (for inspecting the state of the images).

> 4.  For over-the-air programming, are there other options in T2 ?
> Dissemination in T2 I read is only for small data which doesnt apply to
> program binaries. XNP on T2 ?

One replacement is called Typhoon and a paper about it is here:
 	http://hinrg.cs.jhu.edu/uploads/Main/typhoon.pdf
Typhoon can disseminate multiple images in the same time and without
channel switching has a low memory footprint. One drawback is a loss in
speed in dense networks. Typhoon will be added to the contrib when Mike
will find some time to prepare it for public. :-)

--
Razvan ME