[Tinyos-help] Re: [Tinyos-devel] DAC and MSP430RefVoltGenerator in T2

Jan Hauer hauer at tkn.tu-berlin.de
Sun Feb 17 05:51:49 PST 2008

On Feb 15, 2008 7:59 PM, Kevin Klues <klueska at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thats fine, but I think the point is that if the ADC reading you are
> about to take needs to use the refernece voltage, access should NOT be
> granted to the ADC until access to the reference voltage has been
> granted.  If you use VCC, you don't need to wait for this.  The
> information about which voltage source to use should be encapsulated
> inside the configuration settings for the ADC reading you are about to
> take, and not be changable without first releasing and then reaquring
> the resource.

Yes - a client has to let you know about all the resources it needs in
advance (and for the ADC we have the AdcConfigure interface for this
purpose). There are many possible combinations (ADC only, ADC+RefVolt,
RefVolt only (on a pin), DAC-combinations...), how smart should the
wrapper be? It must of course know that RefVolt must be requested
before ADC/DAC, but should this wrapper use special policies (e.g. if
one client needs RefVolt+ADC but RefVolt is blocked, then another
client that only needs ADC might go first even if it has requested
later, etc...)? Maybe this can be generalized similar to the way we
have different arbiter-policies.

Jan