[Tinyos-help] Re: [Tinyos-devel] DAC and MSP430RefVoltGenerator in T2

Sandip Bapat sandipbapat at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 08:14:30 PST 2008

Jan,

In the latter approach you outlined, where they share the same arbiter, if we assume that the ADC and DAC require the same reference voltage, would they still not be able to run in parallel?

Here's one scenario which might be common to a lot of sensing apps: An app uses RefVolt via Msp430AutoRVGClient to do its sensing and requires some reference (say 2.5V). Occasionally, the app also needs to use the DAC, with the same reference voltage, for instance, to change the gain setting on the sensor by varying the DAC voltage. If both used the same reference, could they still not work in parallel?

Also, the DAC has a 3x multiplier setting so effectively it can produce the same range of outputs regardless of what reference voltage is being used by others (ADC). We could (re)implement the getState() function in RefVolt so that the DAC client can figure out which, if any, reference voltage is being used by the ADC and scale its inputs accordingly.

But perhaps I'm missing something even more fundamental here as to why they can't run in parallel.

Sandip