[Tinyos-help] Tinyos-2.x Oscilloscope save button?

Philip Levis pal at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 13 09:07:56 PST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 12:02 AM, Alexandros Karagiannis wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Before i describe my case i'd like to express a big THANK YOU for
> the help that this list provides to those people trying to deal and
> experiment on WSN and Tinyos-NesC.
> Moving now to the problem. I was using in Tinyos-1.x the
> oscilloscope application which is a very helpful tool to visualize
> data i got from Tmote Sky network. Porting now the code to T2, or
> modifying and writing new code to use oscilloscope application i
> realized that there is no possibility to save the stream of data
> that this application visualizes. In the beginning i thought it was
> something i missed, i started searching the mailing list for any
> similar issue and then by googling it i came to the conclusion that
> there is no evident reason for not having the save button.
> After digging in the java source of the oscilloscope application (/
> opt/tinyos-2.x/apps/Oscilloscope/java) it was clear that the
> application actually saves the data stream by using two objects
> Data,Node but it wasn't obvious how can somebody gets access to the
> saved stream.
> If i missed something then i apologize but could someone point me
> any way to save data stream from serialForwarder in Tinyos-2.x ? My
> only alternative for now is the Listen tool.

You could modify the Java code so the GUI has a save button. When you
click the button, it iterates over the Data,Node pairs and writes the
data out to a file.

Because SerialForwarder allows multiple concurrent clients, as you
point out, a parallel Listen is another simple option. It's often the
case that having the complete packet is useful; among other things,
it lets you clean the data of corrupted packets that passed CRC.

Phil