[Tinyos-help] JTAG connection/debugging MICAz with mib510 and AVRATJTAGICE_MKII

Aurélien Francillon aurelien.francillon at inrialpes.fr
Sun Feb 10 16:01:21 PST 2008

Hi Ben,

Murray, Ben a écrit :
> just a little follow-on with the following setup:
> PC---(usb & serial)---ICEMK2---(JTAG)---MIB510/MICAz(mote, not the isp jtag
> port!)
>
> I cannot make it connect/communicate using the usb cable (though I /think/
> AVRstudio saw the pod via USB) to the pod. /dev/usb<N>, /dev/ttyUSB<N>, and
> various other guesses didn't work and all that appears in device manager is
> "Jungo:JTAGICE mkII".

Well i only used the mkII with plain usb connection under
linux ... Do you use it under cygwin? AFAK to use the usb with avarice
you need the libusb I don't know if it's supported under cygwin.
Under linux when the pod is plugged it doesn't create a new device,
it's just recognized as a usb endpoint and accessed from plain
user space thanks to libusb ...

after plugging it i see in dmesg  :

usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3

and lsusb recognizes the id as the proper device
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 03eb:2103 Atmel Corp. JTAG ICE mkII

note that iirc I use a cvs version of avarice as the usb support
 for mkII was quite recent ... I'm not sure it's present in last release
Maybe it would be useful to give a try to the tinyos linux based livecd to
see if you can make the usb work under linux...

I never used insight for debugging, however, looking at the insight-ice
script and
the details you posted  it seems that everything is fine on the side of
avarice.
It looks to fail when it calls avr-insight so the questions to ask
yourself are:
- do you have a working install of avr-insight (i.e. insight debugger
targeted for avr )?
- is it properly launched by the script, check patch etc ... ?
- does avr-insight is trying to connect to avarice on localhost port, check
manual /automatic configuration etc.. ?

You can always launch commands by hand for avarice instead of using the
*-ice scripts :
flash mote, then launch avarice for jtag debug, then launch your
gdb/insight to
connect to avarice daemon ...

cheers
Aurélien