[Tinyos-help] Tossim problem.

Philip Levis pal at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Sep 29 22:20:17 PDT 2005

On Sep 29, 2005, at 7:48 PM, Mohammad Rahimi wrote:

> Thanks phil. I wander what is the reason for departure from the
> gcc semantics. This means that the applications would not work with
> the standard header.

Well, it's quite rare that people use TinyOS with standard libraries.
TOSSIM is sort of a special case. The reason we changed the semantics
was that it's the generally thought semantics (e.g., how often do you
see someone write functions with a void parameter). Since nesC
doesn't need (or want) undefined parameter lists, it seemed like the
right idea.

> I also understood that tossim does not compile on gcc-4.0.

I'll believe that. I'm sure a lot of code doesn't compile with
gcc-4.0. Officially, TinyOS is only supported on a limited set of
gccs for this reason. E.g, avr-gcc completely changes how you access
hardware registers between 3.3 and 3.4.3. While 1.x works on the
former, 2.x works on the latter.

Phil