[Tinyos-help] Custom MAC Implementation Question

Brett Parsons brettmac.parsons at nf.sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 27 15:43:37 PDT 2005

Hi All,

I'm looking to implement my own "global" MAC protocol in order to
eliminate issues such as the "hidden terminal" problem.  I want to use a
very simple approach that involves splitting the send window into n
slots, where n is the number of nodes in the network.  Nodes would only
send when their slot comes around.  Although I know this is inefficient,
it will suffice for my research purposes.

My question relates to how to implement such a protocol.  Currently, a
node can send 3 types of messages in my network:
    -AM_INTEREST
    -AM_DATAREADING
    -AM_REINFORCEMENT
To accomodate this, I have three parameterized instances of SendMsg.

What I would like is a layer that sits on top of "SendMsg" that will
only call SendMsg.send() when the node's time slice is active (i.e. -
set a timer, wait for x ms, then send).

Does anyone have any experience with implementing anything similar to
this?  Any suggestions on the best software architecture approach
required to accomplish the task?

Thanks,

Brett