[Tinyos-help] What is a TinyOS's executable file format?

Robert Szewczyk szewczyk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 12:24:19 PDT 2005

TinyOS programs executing on a sensor node consist of  the .text and
.data sections of the executable.   There is no dynamic linking, and
The programs that perform the loading of the program to the mote
understand the SREC and IHEX formats -- basically these contain the
data of the form address, length, and data.   The srec or ihex files
are produced from executables outputted by the compiler: on a majority
of platforms (AVR-based and MSP430-based platforms using GCC-derived
compilers) the executable will be in ELF format.  In some cases (IIRC
if you want to debug an AVR-based mote using Atmel tools) you may need
a COFF exectable, several translation options exist in that space.

Cheers,

Rob