[Tinyos-help] big problems with motes

Michael Schippling schip at santafe.edu
Sat Sep 24 16:21:35 PDT 2005

from your mention of parallel ports, I asume you are using the
MIB500 which has both serial and parallel connections...

Your uisp commands match those that I have used to access the
MIB500 in my MSWidows system so hopefully they are right.

I have had to short pins 7 & 8 on the serial cable in order to
get CTS and RTS to agree to communicate with a PC.

I'm not sure if uisp uses the MOTECOM env var but you might
want to make sure it's set correctly, e.g.:
     MOTECOM=serial at COM5:mica2
(probably you want to use COM1 not 5....)

Also check your uisp version to be something like:
   uisp --help
     uisp version 20030820tinyos
     (C) 1997-1999 Uros Platise, 2000-2003 Marek Michalkiewicz
     (c) 2003 Philip Buonadonna, Intel Corporation
     (c) 2003           ,        Crossbow Technology
versions from 2002 seem to be unappreciated now.

While you're at it the .../tinyos-1.x/tools/scripts/toscheck
program might give you some hints on other mis-configurations.

With no programer attached I get fuse values of 0x00 not 0xff
so your connection may be OK, but check all the cables and
ports with other devices, terminals, printers, etc, to make sure.
And the power connection too, check for 3.3 volts to the Mote.
And _do_not_ have the batteries switched ON when the Mote is in
the programmer.

Unfortunately my pet rabbit chewed through my cables a while ago
and I haven't replaced them yet so I can't double check what I get
with the programmer attached right now...The perils of the home
office...

And finally, maybe your Mote is bad...do you have more to try?

MS