[Tinyos-help] Note about motelist and perl

Cory Sharp cory at moteiv.com
Thu Sep 22 17:13:33 PDT 2005

Hi Matt,

I've committed a change to motelist-linux, now at Revision 1.4, that
hopefully addresses the problem. I haven't tested it on any older versions
of Perl, but I've rewritten the parse_usb_devices_text function to do less
Perl-fancy things while achieving the same goal of chewing a paragraph from
/proc/bus/usb/devices into a hash/dictionary.

The problem stems from the format of /proc/bus/usb/devices. I'd swear that
whoever spec'ed out that format aggressively intended to win blue ribbon in
the ugly contest at the state fair. The file is a headache to parse both
visually and mechanically, and so the code and/or regular expression to
parse it tend to be a little messed up just to get along.

If you could possibly check it out from CVS and test it again with your
older version of Perl and let me know if it works out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, best,
Cory Sharp <cory at moteiv.com>