[Tinyos-help] broadcasting commands in SurgeTelos

Gilman Tolle gilman.tolle at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 10:07:42 PST 2005

Ah, I gotcha. You're not alone in requesting that feature, by the way.
Maybe I'll add it. It gets a bit tricky handling the reliability,
because of the way that the TinyOS Active Message Layer is written,
but it's doable.

What I meant in that sentence is this: you can hook 2 motes up to the
same gateway machine: your base station and a TOSBase. You can then
use your base station for data collection and use the TOSBase for
communication over Drip.

Here's the rationale behind using TOSBase: you aren't limited to a
specific single base station. If your Java application does what the
mote base station would do, then you can put the base station anywhere
in the network, or attach it to a PDA, or anything. If only one mote
can perform the functions of base station, then that's the only place
you can ever put the bridge to the outside world.

For instance, the Drain routing layer doesn't use a Mote 0 like
MintRoute. The Drain Java application just sends the beacon that has
cost 0, making it the root of the tree. This means that you can build
a tree, then physically move the base station around in the network,
and the tree will adapt.

Do you think your application could be made to function like this?
Java and TinyOS can do very similar things. The only downside is that
a computer has to be running at all times. If your base station is
deliberately independent of a computer, then this pattern won't work.
For example, your base station mote is logging to its own flash
instead of sending data over the serial port.

Anyway, I hope this was interesting. I'll think about making Drip
support any base station instead of just a TOSBase.

Gil