[Tinyos-help] Re: [Tinyos-users] Cryptography in Sensor Nodes

Chris Karlof ckarlof at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 21 14:47:06 PST 2005

AYHAN ERDOGAN wrote:

>Data-link layer security protocol TinySec  is already included in
>tossim. (right ?)

yes.

>Please give me some info/idea for ANY of my following questions ;
>

>1. Is any cryptographic method already implemented in tossim ?

TinySec, as well as some block cipher implementations, modes of
operation, and a cryptographic MAC.

>2. say that, I want to implement Elliptic Curve Cryptograpy (ECC 2003)
>or something else, where should I start ? Which steps should I follow ?

Here are some relevant articles:

http://airclic.eecs.harvard.edu/publications/secon04.pdf
http://research.sun.com/projects/crypto/CHES_2004.pdf

>3. Is there any electronic documentation or site focused on Cryptograpy
>in Sensor Nodes or Security protocols for sensor networks ?

this is a good place to start:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/zhufeng/security_manet.html

>4. Is TinySec  to be used alone or should/can it be used with another
>upper layer security protocol?

either.

>5. How can I compare the performance of different cryptographic
>tecniques for sensor Networks ?

implement them and measure them :). some of the above papers already do
some comparison as well.

-chris