[Tinyos-help] unicast in tinyOS

Gilman Tolle gilman.tolle at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 14:48:51 PST 2005

Hello, Brij.

You can read more about Drip in the Drip README, available in the
tinyos-1.x source tree, in the beta/Drip directory. This README has
directions on how to use Drip. You might also examine the TestDrip
application, in the same directory.

Unfortunately for your purposes, Drip is a "smart flooding" protocol,
but it is still a flooding protocol. In a nutshell, Drip keeps
retransmitting the message to ensure it reaches every node. To lower
the number of messages sent in the network, Drip backs off if another
node has transmitted the same data and decreases its transmission rate
over time. This results in fewer messages than a simple flood in which
every node retransmits. But, it is still a flood.

Surge is an application that uses a collection routing protocol.
Collection routing is only intended to transport messages from a node
to the base station, not the other way around.

Gil