[Tinyos-help] SerialForwarder - No comm ports found

Brendan J Buckley Brendan.J.Buckley at students.ittralee.ie
Fri Mar 11 08:34:04 PST 2005

Hi

Serialforwarder could not make a connection with the comm port when
attempting to inject and broadcast packets over a sensor network using
SimpleCmd and TOSbase application.

The steps that I carried out were:

1) Loaded SimpleCmd onto one micaz mote

2) Loaded TOSbase onto the second micaz mote,

3) Left the second mote with TOSbase connected to the MIB510

4) Navigated to the appropriate directory and ran the following command:
         "java net.tinyos.sf.SerialForwarder -comm serial at COM1"

5)Here lies the problem I am having:
   Within the serialforwarder Window - the message:
    "serial at com1:19200 died - restarting (java.io.IOException: Invalid
port.          No comm ports found!)"

The first step that I undertook was ensuring that I was operating from
com1   - I tested this by loading Blink and CntToLedAndRfm applications
and both ran successfully.
- I looked at previous postings for related issues and found the
reinstalling the uisp can rectify the problem so I opened a cygwin window:
   $ cd tools/src/uisp/src
   $ make; make install
   $ cd tools/src/uisp/kernel/win32
   $ make; make install
Finally, reboot pc and retry
After a number of attempts of running the serialforwarder application –
the same issue is occuring– no comm ports found!

Then moving onto inject packets

I navigated to C:\tinyos\cygwin\opt\tinyos-1.x\tools\java\net\tinyos\tools

Entered the following command :
    "java net.tinyos.tools.BcastInject led_on radio_quieter"

The result of running this command is the following output:

Sending payload: 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
getenv JNI library not found. Env.getenv will not work
(please consult installation directions in
tinyos-1.x/tools/java/net/tinyos/util/Env.INSTALL)
    at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at net.tinyos.packet.SFSource.openSource(SFSource.java:56)
    at net.tinyos.packet.AbstractSource.open(AbstractSource.java:77)
    at net.tinyos.packet.PhoenixSource.run(PhoenixSource.java:167)
    at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at net.tinyos.packet.SFSource.openSource(SFSource.java:56)
    at net.tinyos.packet.AbstractSource.open(AbstractSource.java:77)
    at net.tinyos.packet.PhoenixSource.run(PhoenixSource.java:167)
sf at localhost:9001 died - exiting (java.net.ConnectException: Connection
refused:  connect)

The action I tried:
Following the directions "please consult installation directions in
tinyos-1.x/tools/java/net/tinyos/util/Env.INSTALL"

 ->   cd <your tinyos-1.x directory>/tools/java/jni
 ->   make install

This ran through an installion

I then retried the BcastInject but the same message appeared.

I then attempted the following direction (also in env.INSTALL):
If this doesn't work, check that the locate_jre script is correctly
reporting the location of your java installation's jre directory. If not,
copy libgetenv.so (Linux) or getenv.dll (Windows) to the appropriate
location for your Java VM.

I tried searching for files called "locate_jre" and "getenv.dll" but they
were not on my system.

Can anyone please suggest possible solutions to these issues

Regards,
Brendan